Thursday, November 15, 2007

Brief introduction

Hi all.  My name is Mac. Well, not really, but that is how my friends call me. I am 32 (still), I am a software developer, here in Paris, and have been so for the past 6 years. I have worked as a consultant in Quaternove for 5 years, developing software for a handful of diverse companies such as Wincor-Nixdorf (an ATM manufacturer), SERVIER (a pharmaceutical laboratory) or SAGEM (a mobile phone manufacturer), and developing skills (which I badly lacked ;-) in diverse technologies such as relational databases, C++, XML, Java or .NET.

This experience taught me that ordinary developers have a lot to learn in many fields, ranging from the technologies they use to the communication skills that are needed to build better software. It taught me as well that in this respect (at least), I was a very ordinary developer. So I am reading a lot, from virtual blogs to real books, to try to become a better professional.

After the discrepancies between how I was made things done and how I read (and came to believe) they could be done, I got myself a new job in a small company (we are 6 people), which I will keep unnamed (for now at least) as this blog is a personal initiative. I am considered a .NET expert, which I guess I can accept if it is taken as a relative notion. I am deeply involved in the realization of our vision of building our own to be able to develop better and cheaper software for our customers.

This blog is destined as a means to keep track of my problems, my solutions and my various thoughts about software development. And maybe share some of them.